PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 02:52
engfireleft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enginefireleft: you say the samy will apply to us when we reach the age..... we will NEVER be affected the same way.... because we will not have seen the advancement up to the senior positions and then allowed to stay extra. There is only one group that would reap a windfall gain, and I suspect that you belong to that group. Please stop telling us that it would also benefit us later on. Just not true. Again, it is about career earnings, full stop. I'd have to work longer just to make the same, get it!
And have LESS time available to me to enjoy my retirement, get it!
Parc, Rishworth, Flightdeck..... all are looking for experienced commanders.
No, I do not belong to that group. In fact I am likely junior to most of the people opposed to eliminating mandatory retirement and I will be just as adversely effected as they are.

As well, I am getting more than a little tired of whiners bitching about how their career earnings will be effected. Close to 70% of the 320 FO's in Toronto could be making up to $30,000 more a year as an EMJ CA, but choose not to. The situation is even more dramatic the farther up the seniority ladder you go. Virtually all of the 330 FO's could be 320 Captains. Most of the 777 FO's could be 767 Captains. So let's give that tired refrain a rest shall we?

We must as a group and a union follow the rules, laws and regulations that are in place. Our contract does not in any way allow us not to. We have been told explicitly that mandatory retirement is discriminatory and therefore illegal. If our union and many of our members had simply taken a cursory look at what's going on in the rest of the country we wouldn't need to be told...but regardless we have been. We still don't get the picture. How stupid are we?

The union has abandoned their duty to provide fair representation to the over 60 pilots even though they are full members of the bargaining unit. If similar restrictions as what they proposed in the MOU were directed at any pilot under 60 you and everybody else would be screaming bloody murder, and for good reason. They are required to provide fair and equal representation to every member, not just the ones they like or the ones who think they are the majority.

Our members and union are determined to learn the hard way what the laws and regulations say. It is shameful that it has to come to this, because long after the people making these disastrous decisions are gone we will be paying the price.

I support the idea (as does the entire nation) that forced retirement due to age is discriminatory which is why I support the 60+ guys. I don't care what their motivation is. Having a union background myself I take very seriously the obligation of a union to provide fair and equal representation, and I will be the first in line to take them to court for their determination to not do so.

You and many others may not see why now, but eventually you will.