PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2010, 11:02
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner9
If you think otherwise, what would you say were Unite's motives in the memo? Seems to me that they could only be to either protect their members (as they should) or to give BASSA a bloody nose.
It is an interesting situation, no doubt carefully mapped out by the management team. For BASSA to make the statement that they did, in my mind was unlawful, causing Unite to act. What you do as an individual, is up to you. Not closing a blind is at best, a potential capability issue, if you do not comply. As a collective group, i.e. whole crew in a premeditated action, is industrial action short of a strike, which in itself, is unlawful if there has not been a ballot etc.

However, it would not be a contractual obligation, exactly like the hot towels, so you would not be in breach, unless it could be proved that it was a reasonable action.

Do you think it is reasonable? I am sure if you asked someone walking down the street, that if he/she was asked to close a window blind by his boss, to aid in a potential cooling of a room, what would be his/her response?