PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJE calling back pilots?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2010, 09:32
Cpt_Schmerzfrei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
northernboy,

I understand that you speak from bitter experience and are therefore doubtful about any union. However, I believe that unions as such are neither good nor bad - they all depend on the people running them. If you'd just have a quick look at what is said at the skyshare forum and in the FAQ, you'd quickly realise that some down-to-earth, cool-headed people are leading skyshare at the moment. Also, there are some open-minded discussions going on.

Also, I'd like to tell you about my experience coming from a small, non-unionised airline. We had to endure what were probably the worst working conditions in the industry. If you were not dancing to the management's tune, you could basically forget about promotions. From time to time, there would be some guys (usually direct entry captains, who were hired despite the fact that there were some good F/Os ready to be upgraded) who said that they didn't need an union and that they could stand up for their own rights. They usually left the company after about 12 months, usually quite frustrated when even the most reasonable requests weren't met.

Alone, you are nothing else but an employee who can be quickly replaced. Only as a group you have the power to be heard and make changes. Right now, for the first time in a year (or more), the management starts to listen. This is the first success of skyshare.

So, what will it be for you? What will you say when, for example, they offer you a "new deal" for your upgrading with a reduced entry salary for captains? What will you say when our working conditions continue to deteriorate?

Why not give skyshare a chance - if there is something you don't like, you can always leave.

Cpt,

speaking from the end of the seniority list