PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil use: Air transport Vs. all other?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2010, 03:21
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
''I would assume, as time goes by, that many forms of ground transport (cars, buses, trains, ships, etc.) will become greener and use solar or wind generated electricity for power, but I assume there is no future technology that is planned to replace jet engines that run from kerosene/jet fuel (e.g., oil).''

I'm writing an article about this in my part time job as a journalist. (Actually, I should be but I'm not right now. I'm on PPruNe procrastinating and ignoring the editor's e-mails about passed deadlines.) It's mainly about ships going back to wind power, but I offer alternatives to other forms of transport. I reckon land vehicles will rely on electricity powered by batteries and/or fuel cells, ships by liquid fuels and or wind power, and large aircraft will have no alternative but to use liquid fuels. Bio fuels have been experimented with, 747s have been flown with an engine fueled by a kerosene substitute made from vegtable oils. The most promising so far being a Diamond Twin Star with deisel engines powered by bio-fuel refined from Algae.