PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career changes for ex Cabin crew?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2010, 00:03
Floaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am 39 and I only have some Open University studies but three languages. Before flying, I worked in an office, then became a sports teacher. In 2003 I started flying. Seven years and 2 airlines later, I left BA with a miserable severance package, but 2 years of staff travel in my pocket.

After a bit of travel and a lot of spending, I decided to put my CV on Totaljobs.com. At the beginning, I was offered rubbish stuff, like 7.50 £ an hour to work 4-5 hour early/late shifts at LHR check-ins for a sub-contractor. I also considered working in London as a receptionist for 17K a year, but the journey was ridiculously expensive and depressing...

Several weeks later, I was approached by a luxury brand of mobile phones, belonging to a massive multinational. I was not seriously interested in anything other than flying at the time, but they were adamant I had the right background in customer service and the languages they were looking for... so I reluctantly said yes. When I started, I thought 'I won't last a week!!'. Fact is, I immediately started earning 30K, compared to my 18K when flying... and that was a biiiiiig jump.

I work long hours, but it is self-inflicted. I picked up a lot of self-drive and motivation from my flying experience, which means I'm constantly challenging myself and others to find new ways of doing things, increasing performance and developing better processes (blah blah blah). Apparently I am an escalation manager, but I never liked the word 'manager', so I just do my best, respect everyone and think outside the box, whilst remembering the dangers of complacency.

For as long as they appreciate me, I stay, otherwise I can always join another airline. I'm happy either way. To my advantage, I now know that there is always something around the corner that I can do. I feel resourceful and skilled, despite my lack of qualifications on paper.