PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you study for your PPL?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 22:50
HighFlyer75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you hit the books for the next couple of weeks prior to the course and then do two weeks of classroom learning I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pass the tests.

When I started studying I was told that the CAA recommends two months of study. In reality I did about one month of part time study (a few hours here and there and one day at the weekends) as my job prevented me from doing any more. After that I did a two day revision course that covered all topics briefly immediately followed by the exam - and I passed them all. This was about two weeks ago.

Thing is, while I passed the exams, I still feel like there are areas that I passed because I knew the answer rather than understood the topic fully. As a result I find myself going back to the books again trying to really get to grips with some of the areas.

As far as practice exams are concerned, the general consensus is to use the confuser. If you have an iPhone (doesn't everyone) you can download some apps from The Great Circle containing practice exams which are basically the confuser. I found this very useful to do some practice questions any time I had a few minutes to spare. You have to pay for them but I found it was worth the money personally.

Re the Air Quiz exams suggested by turbulentmonkey, I also signed up for this but found that I didn't use it as the format and nature of the questions really didn't match what the CAA exams are like. Its a nice way to test your overall knowledge but I personally don't believe it is a good way to prepare for the CAA exams.

Last edited by HighFlyer75; 5th Aug 2010 at 22:53. Reason: Added more after reading someone elses response