PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 5th Aug 2010, 20:52
Beagle9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "The reality is that MF has a higher selection criteria than for temp crew. There is a serious effort at BA to get the right people in from day one. People that can do a serious days work and not need a dozen MBTs afterwards."

Errrr, now I've been one of the most soundly anti BASSA posters from within cabin crew, but I must admit to being a bit put out by this posting.

Longhaul flying is extremely tiring, and while I abhor all the whinging about reduced crew complememnts, and putting yourself out to maybe work closer to Scheme whenever there is disruption, I don't think our MBTs, or indeed our shorthaul TOBs are overly excessive.

If, sir/madame, you are a pilot, to be fair, you should know better, since although you may work more taxing itineraries, you are compensated by having more time off than us. That was the deal you union negociated for you, and good for them, at least they CAN negociate.

If you are not a pilot (or cabin crew) then I respectfully suggest you don't know what you are talking about.

I can totally understand BA's need for New Fleet, and those that apply will probably happily accept less time off than us, but then they almost certainly will only do it for 5 years or so, so will be able to cope.

Nobody is more critical of the BASSAmentalist attitude than me, but lets not get carried away with the idea that the current job of cabin crew is a breeze, 'cos if you are full time, turn up whatever your roster and go the extra mile to make sure we have loyal customers, it certainly is not.

You especially hit a raw nerve tonight, as I have just completed a 12 hour day, last day of seven staight days on, with one day off tomorrow before being back at work again on Saturday,