PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:58
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji

Flying is not about when everything is going right but about handling things when they go wrong. I am not just talking about mechanical but equally electrical, weather nav etc.

Full engine failures are probably fairly rare failures which create a problem with the engine are not.

Turbochargers, fuel flow problems etc etc etc. I can remember flying a Seneca Five which was brand new for a non pilot private owner.

The engine had a habit of cutting out with no warning and did so completely in IMC near Dublin. Luckely it restarted.

On landing she ran like a sewing machine, was checked numerous times by the engineers, given a clean bill of health only to play her silly games once again.
Piper had to almost change the whole fuel system to finally sort it!!!
I have had a large piece of exhaust manifold detach We found the piece lying at the bottom of the engine cowl.
2 complete engine failures and numerous engine, electrical, fuel, nav heating etc problems.

My point is to be aware of things going wrong not just engine failures and making the correct decisions to put them right. A crash is usually a culmination of bad descisions or judgements.

To go flying expecting everything to run like clockwork is something which is lovely to have but very often one problem or another will rear its ugly head.
A complete engine failure is just one possible and yes they do happen.

I take your point on accepting risk. Flying at night or over fog banks is a high risk activity especially in a single. Take that risk and its russian roulette!

Pilots like Guppy have a mass of hard experience in the most difficult of circumstances which test man and machine which pilots like you or I dont have so I always lend an ear to what they say Even if the response can be sharp at times

Pace