PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol Testing and Interviews
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:20
LessThanSte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet, I passed Phase 1 and have been invited to Phase 2, which I believe is in a month or so.

With the benefit of experience, here is some info about the tests;

-----------------

Travel to Maastricht is very easy, the bus station is directly outside the train station, number 59 goes from stand G. It operates about once per hour. A single costs €4 but for €5.50 you can buy a day ticket that can be used on any route all day. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport, the Tulip Inn hotel is directly next to the airport building. The hotel is actually very nice, with the bar overlooking the runway. It isnt a busy airport, no flights after 11pm, but if you leave your window open you will get woken up by airport vehicles during the night. Breakfast and Lunch are provided at Eurocontrol.

After collection of your travel reciepts, part 1 commences. There are 3 tests, followed by a 10 minute break, followed by 3 more tests. For us, the order was; Coordinate system; English; Runway Instruction; Sorting; Ball-On-Wall; Cubes.

Coordinate system gives you a 5x5 grid with a load of points/aircraft marked on. You then have to deduce heading changes (turning left or right to a certain heading) and distances to various other points. This generally gets more tricky the further you go.

English comprehension is relatively straight forward if you speak English as a first language, and from talking to others, not to bad even if you dont. Listen carefully and answer based on what was actually stated, not what you may think otherwise. The numbers part is most tricky, just concentrate on all of the numbers.

Runway Instructions asks you to direct planes to a runway via a series of control points. Priorities are explained during the introduction, and should be followed exactly, unless stated otherwise by a message on screen. Remember to follow the rules explicitly!!!

Sorting test is designed to make you make mistakes, i guess they are more worried about how you react to those mistakes. If you can pull yourself together when you make a mistake then i assume you will be ok. Do not get angry with yourself, as you'll make more mistakes. You have to sort shapes/colours/numbers into certain boxes, with a further match item that overrides everything else. Also, messages pop up that require special functions to be completed. You have 2 seconds for each one, it is very quick-fire.

Ball on Wall simply gets you to press a relevant button (1, 2, 3 or 4) when the relevant ball intersects with the wall. Again its designed to make you panic. Its easy to start hitting the wrong buttons.

Cube test is exactly like the example on page 21 of this thread. I think this is one of the most important, and for some one of the hardest. I do think you can practice this, as i did the night before. On a piece of paper draw a net of a cube and insert some shapes on each face. Then, on a cube drawn underneath, draw one of the shapes from the net, and then try and figure out the other 2 sides. Do this lots, and you will soon start to figure out how the various cubes go together. Also cutting out a cube net and putting it together will help you to understand.

Then its time for lunch and for the chosen few, part 2 is the strip management test. For this there is a 1hour 30minute tutorial on what to do, and a brief practice test. You will be given a series of control fixes with flights going between them. You'll look for local conflicts (same control fix within 4 minutes and 3000 feet), opposite conflicts (travelling in opposite directions between fixes within 4 minutes and 3000 feet), strips that can be deleted when not relevant, strips that need updating when new oral instructions are relayed to you, and will also be tasked to sort strips by time order. There is a lot to do, do not concentrate on one task but spread yourself around, systematically working out one thing at a time. All tasks are given the same weighting. I assume it will also punish you for making mistakes more than once. The first time you make a mistake it will tell you, from then its best not to make another one.

I spoke to the person running the tests after about Phase 2. She said that the 18 best people from the 3 days of testing will be compared with those people on a reserve list, with the then best 18 or so going through to Phase 2. Also, from Thursday onwards (i.e. the day you recieve results) you can contact her for feedback on the tests, this is whether you passed them or not, which may be useful for future reference.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone taking the tests soon!