PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Justification for "routine" psa testing in males >50yrs.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 05:26
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
PSA. Yes, just one of the warning lights.

"Free PSA" gets the youngsters here confused. Can I have a Free PSA check? No, you have to pay. No, I mean . . .

I have to say that I was concerned that a biopsy might release dangerous cells into the bloodstream. Everyone I asked about it seemed to dismiss the idea. I was particularly interested as one of my oldest friends is having his second biopsy about now.

My GP at home was fairly dismissive about PSA levels in the early stages. He seemed to accept the value of them after treatment. Odd that. As mentioned, with the right funds, I'd go for that Ultrasound 'ColorFlow' system to see what was happening.

I asked if I needed any further investigation, and the surgeon's office just replied with how pleased they were with the latest PSA. I get the distinct feeling that I have been given a huge increase in life-expectancy, but now am on a latter-day kind of watchful waiting.

If this is true, I'm happy with that. There are a lot of younger people out there that need treatment, and to be 3 X 20 + 10, and soaking up precious resources, is really unacceptable when they've slewed the odds in my favor for me.

Just a thought for those considering which route to take: I gather the removal of the prostate after Brachytherapy, is very difficult if not downright impossible.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 5th Aug 2010 at 05:44.