PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doug Arnold
Thread: Doug Arnold
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2002, 22:48
CamelPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't going to make any comment on this thread but I will.

Doug Arnold is not an anecdotal subject in my view. He was not a liked man. Arrogant, seriously private and did not suffer fools. He was also a bully.

I knew him for around 8 years before he died. He was a difficult man to get to know. Once he knew you he would still view you with suspicion. He hated anoraks, and he hated talking about what he was planning. He was also quite violent and would not think twice about punching someone's lights out. As he did the CFI at Three Counties Aero Club at B'bushe one time.

His contribution to aviation was vast however, but it was purely a money making venture. His attempt at re-building a Lancaster at Biggin Hill was a joy to watch. He somehow had access to enormous amounts of spares and engines. A case in point was that he 'found' 12 Merlin's - in India I believe - and reckoned that his Lanc would be good for a 100 years! He also had in the same hangar a very nice PBY. A really beautiful aircraft. Wonder what happened to that.

He not only collected aircraft, he collected tanks too and had a good selection at Biggin, which upset the council! But that would have made him feel dead chuffed.

His sons, David and Peter never really took after their father but they did inherit his wealth when he died. What happened to all the aircraft I cannot say. I believe the Lanc went to a hangar at Popham where Charles Church was going to get it fully airworthy - until he killed himelf in his Spitfire, and the Lanc suffered severe damage in a storm when the roof collapsed I understand.

Doug was an enigma. It was that which caused him to have few friends. He was adept at using people, and that perhaps, says more about him than anything else.

His mark in aviation will not be an everlasting one in my view.

Last edited by CamelPilot; 4th Aug 2002 at 22:51.