PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 22:05
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
In Germany, the Unions have long had a policy of 'jumping around a bit' but everyone knows that they will come to a good, workmanlike agreement. Consequently, the Unions are still respected by both sides AND still a force to be reckoned with.

The British Unions have, I suggest, always made such a big thing of taking control and taking over the whip, that they were likely to have overshot from the outset. Whilst British Unions had a great deal to overcome and certainly were needed to redress the balance - they have lost the battle. NOT because of govt action but because they have lost public support. I think that the public would still support a strike by nurses but never by well paid cabin crew. Also, let's not re-hash how well or badly paid they are, they have a job with privileges. That is enough!
Not quite right.You are forgetting that Union members are the public, it would be folly to think otherwise.
Also, the 'Public' in the sense you refer will always whine and moan when the strike affects them but support it when it doesn't.
Working in the Travel industry, whether it be Pilots, CC, Engineers, Airport staff etc. you will never get support. Striking and hoping for it is stupid. The press will kill you for spoiling holidays or stifling business. No one will give a toss what the reason for strike is.
This is the very reason why strike action should always be a last resort and fought over something that would make huge differences for the striker or their families.
The members must believe and be on board. It is the job of the local reps to inform the FTO's of the mood locally and the support for the action. This includes views of non Union staff.
I don't think any of that applies to the BASSA dispute.