PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC3 nonsense article in Flight International
Old 4th Aug 2010, 15:43
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks 411A . . . and Marker, that brings back some memory of the general feel.

The last thing I'd have done with such radical control deflections is to let the airspeed build up, so it sounds as though that's the reasons I only felt the slightest hint of Marker's description.

Crossed up, the aircraft felt as though it was to a large extent resting on its fuselage. Very stable, yet still quite maneuverable - without un-crossing the controls.

"Standing up to see over the waves" made me laugh. Not quite that bad, but trying to make sure that we didn't get salt water spray on the bird was a reality.

Time and time again, carriers were returning from Sumburgh having gone around due to low cloud (the aids were primitive on the old field) I realized that so often the viz below was crystal clear the whole way. Trouble was the cloud base was very low, but if I could see Fair isle Fair Isle Home Page on the horizon, i.e., at a safe distance, it was more often than not, possible to see clearly for the entire flight to the lead-in lights that curved round the hotel. It was imperative not to allow the aircraft to climb into the stratus, hence the need for the ability to bully it a little should it become necessary. That only came by practice, practice, practice.

I should hasten to add, we flew a lot of empty sectors in those days. After about 400 hours in the left (and 500 in the right) I gradually got more daring with the things I'd try, but one thing left me beaten. Just try getting a DC3 down from say, 9,000' in a hurry. Nothing I could do would make those vast old wings come out of the sky quickly. I imagined being on fire and trying to be on the ground in c 3 mins. Huh! Double that if you were lucky.