PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to fly with kids
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 15:37
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seating restrictions due to oxygen mask availability

Something I hadn't encountered before that may be of interest to those flying with babies and young children: you may not be able to sit together.

Mrs Gibon2 and I recently flew on Easyjet for a few days' "break" with the kids (there's never really a break) - daughter aged 3, son aged 18 months, and daughter aged 4 months. Experienced travellers with two kids, this was our first attempt on a plane with all three. We joined the boarding ruckus ready to occupy a row of three seats, our elder daughter with her own seat, my wife with our younger daughter on her lap, and me with our son on mine. Simple, right?

But the when the nice Easyjet CC welcomed us aboard and looked at our boarding passes, she said "Er, sorry, but you can't all sit in the same row". Turns out there are only four oxygen masks for each row of three seats (this on an A319 - presume it is the same for 737 etc), so you can't have five people sitting there (even if two of them are very small people).

No big drama, but it meant some hasty reorganisation of the various carry-on paraphernalia that parents are saddled with. On the return trip we were accordingly prepared.

I presume that on allocated-seating services, the separation would be taken care of automatically, but parents may be interested to know why they have been split up.