PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure
Thread: Engine Failure
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 14:22
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had ten or so engine failures in light single engine airplanes over the years.
If you have had that many you really should be worrying about your operating procedures, the aircraft you accept commanding, and the maintenance shops used.

Every takeoff, every cruise path, every approach to landing should be conducted knowing that you may not have use of your powerplant. This can happen at any time, and one must develop the mentality that it's never a matter of whether the motor might fail. It's always a matter of when it will fail. It will, and if you fly long enough, you'll experience this. Many pilots seem incredulous when it does happen, as they operate under the belief that it won't happen to them. Think of it this way: you always have a 50% chance, at least, that it will happen. Either it will, or it won't. Don't ever take a chance that it won't....because enough of those will/won't moments will eventually land on the side of will. Plan accordingly.
Complete Newspaper twaddle. I know many pilots who are very high hour instructors who have never had an engine failure, one or two who are even retired and never had a single one in their career. Engine failures do and will occurr, I agree, and there is some sense in the rest of your post. I have had one engine failure in £550K aircraft that was six months old - but fortunately it was a twin, so didnt matter. However flying, particularly singles, is an excercise in risk assessment. There are those who will never fly over the sea, those that will never fly over the sea without survival suits, those that will never flying over the sea without a raft and those that accept the risk and have none of these. You can therefore plan for a failure that for the owner operator who trusts his maintenance to a reliable shop, properly preflights every trip, and nips in the bud any obvious problems, will almost certainly never come any more or less than being stopped at the lights and the lorry behinds brakes fail and hits you at 50 mph.