PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching people to land a PA28
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 12:15
barrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KISS
I can't understand this concept that prevails in GA in the UK of making everything more complicated than it actually is. Granted there are some decent points made here but IMHO most is nonsense, or at least to me. It is a good idea when flying at night to judge the flare based on your peripheral vision but to be honest I can't see the need when flying daytime VFR in VMC. There is no need to watch the ROD or the ASI after crossing the threshold, or cut the power at 50' or pitch up 0.65 degrees. OAT, airport elevation and prevailing winds will vary and as such each profile would be flown slightly different.

When landing, I set up a decent approach, sit back and feel the aircraft. I let the aircraft tell me what it needs and adjust accordingly. The event should be an exercise of the senses not of arithmetic or physics (We assume we all have a decent knowledge of anyway, don't we ). I'm not saying my landings are perfect but they are far from terrible. Landing a plane, which lets face it is not rocket science, should be in every pilot's blood. One should develop, over time, a gut feeling of when things are going well and when we should try again. At the end of the day all we are doing is returning the aircraft to the ground with the primary objective of not destroying it, property or those contained within.

Ryan
KISS
Best advice in the whole thread.