PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 11:55
johnoWhiskyX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Safety Concerns

"So he drags this out to make them sweat and then a compromise is found to avoid any further strikes.

Would Bassa survive in the aftermath of such a scenario?
Would Unite be damaged by this?"

I think the pivotal word in there is compromise. BA have offered compromise with regards ST, BASSA say its unacceptable. BASSA cannot in my opinion survive this dispute, it has entrenched it position to such a depth it cannot move. It has so far caused damage not only to BA but more importantly its members and any reversal of its position would quite rightly see injured members shouting for answers as to why this happened and what recompense they can seek against their union.

I heard mention of BASSA using the word marathon for this dispute. To me this points to a unrealistic view of the real world. Union members cannot go on strike indefinately, cannot pay for full fare tickets to commute to work. The longer the dispute goes on the less relevant any threat of IA will be. Unite will not be harmed, it will still be there as a union representing other branches at BA.

I don't know if it would be legal, but if i was BA i would be "leaking" that the same offer as has just been sent out will be available again to anyone not in the union. That way it gives those still in the union a chance to vote with their feet. Either leave the union and take the offer, or stay and support an increasingly marginalised minority and suffer the consequences. BA cannot let this drag on.