PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 11:16
monarols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Cheadle Boy. Yes I was a keen spotter from about 1967 to late 71 when we migrated to Australia. I was also @ Broadway high school and used to ride the bike to the airport on days I was supposed to be at school, LoL my name is Chris Morgan.

Couldn't help myself and had to add a little more to this thread. A couple of "regulars" going over my place, which was right on finals to 24, I always remember were 08:00 ish BOAC VC-10 in the mornings (usually a super) (my alarm clock) which left a unique wailing sound once it had gone overhead, and the daily 18:00 smokey Lufty 727 from Frankfurt which you could see coming miles off!

Although though I couldnt confirm it, but the rumour was that the elderly lady that used to live in the last house in the row that was on on short finals to 24, was deaf and that she used to bring in her washing off the line just prior to the Lufty 727 landing. Bless her.

I also remember the Alitalia, SAS and Air France caravelles at night that had a unique navigation/strobe type lights that seemed to alternate in a different pattern to most other aircraft I had seen.

And turnstiles at the start of the "international" pier, where I didnt always have the money (cant even remember in 1970, how much it was now) to get thru, and was a bit portly to squeeze thru the gaps in a desperate attempt to run the length of the pier to look at some rare departure.

And not to forget the "boring" B-Line 1-11's, Tridents and the Dan-Air Nord 262 (YFR) that flew in and out.

What I would give to see those again, LoL

I still have my last 1971 CAMS book I bought, which I often flick thru. And the day of all days, when the first BOAC 747 landed, and the terraces were jam packed. When it touched down, I remember my reaction. Just gobsmacked by its size......

Great days indeed.

Last edited by monarols; 4th Aug 2010 at 22:47.