View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 03:18
tweed0099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Engine Failure

Have you ever lost your engine?

This is my story...

July 24th 2010

It was a typical VFR flight out of Destin (DTS) like I’ve done time and time again. I got there about 9AM to do the mission planning and took off around 11AM. We were headed to Orlando (ORL) for a surprise birthday party. I preflighted the C-172 N53456, called to open our flight plan, then talked to Eglin clearance to receive flight following enroute. Just prior to takeoff I did the normal checklists and the engine run-up was fine with both mags working normally. We flew down the coast at about 1000’ taking in the scenery for approximately 5 miles. We then started our climb to 9500’. Approximately 30 miles East of DTS and passing 3800’ the engine went from about 2400RPM to 1000RPM. It was as if the throttle linkage had disconnected and the engine went to idle. I was on the radio with flight watch getting a weather update when it happened. I told them to standby and maintained aircraft control by immediately trading airspeed for altitude. We were at about 90-95 KIAS when the engine went to idle so I pitched for 65 KIAS (best glide) and we were able to get to almost 4000’. I then began to analyze the situation as we descended quickly. After trouble shooting as much as I could, I pushed the throttle in and pulled it out looking for a response. I pulled the carb heat hoping that it would remedy the idle engine. In the limited amount of time that I had I tried every feasible solution; unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to keep the C-172 from descending. I spun the Garmin 430 and saw that the closest airfield was 12 miles away. Too far! With only a few minutes to spare, I realized that I had to make a decision quickly. Below me was the ocean, the beach and a busy road. At my 9 O’clock, I saw Shark’s Tooth golf course and it was my only realistic option. I then turned the aircraft toward the golf course and maneuvered for high key; my safest option was to land on the golf course. I had just checked in with Tyndall approach a few minutes prior so I declared an emergency with them and squawked 7700 with a flash. I hit high key at 2000’ while analyzing the golf course for the safest option for the passengers on board as well as any civilians on the ground. What ended up being the 18th hole had a cart on it so I chose the hole next to it. I hit low key at around 1300’. I then maneuvered to clear the tall trees on the south side of hole 17 while milking my flaps down. As soon as I cleared the huge trees I pushed over to try and use as much fairway as possible. After landing and rolling to a stop I made sure everyone was okay and I contacted emergency response along with the FAA.

Here is a link to the official story and a video just a few minutes after. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and stories of your own. Praise God we're all alive and even the plane was left undamaged.

Story
Pilot makes emergency landing on 17th Hole at Shark's Tooth | tooth, landing, 17th - News - The News Herald

Video
YouTube - Girl survives emergency airplane landing

God bless,
Tony<><