PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC3 nonsense article in Flight International
Old 4th Aug 2010, 03:08
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
It's dead easy to do a smooth wheeler with no load. C of G is far enough forward to inhibit the worst of its tendency to leap back into the air or ground loop. But fill it to the gunnels with an aft C of G and it's an entirely different beast. Then have a go at 3 pointing it, (which was the way some of us landed it at certain limiting mud or grass strips), and it gets quite interesting if you don't get speed just right and all the drift off.
The author of that article is clearly very experienced and I suspect he did not think too carefully about the way he has written that it mainly turns on rudder with aileron being a mere nicety. Or maybe it just felt that way to him. Ater a long time away from the DC3 I well remember jumping into one and noticing how 'rubbery' and unresponsive the ailerons initially felt. Until I remembered that they need quite large inputs to have any effect.
In the standard DC3 and C47, the rudder lockout thing was never an issue unless asymmetric with it hard against the stops, and even then it was not life-threatening. The so-called 'Super' DC3 may have been different. But it was UGLY, too....