PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 18:56
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Magictiger - I understand your frustration but I think you over estimate the power of the established pilots to do anything about it. The whole buy-a-type-rating thing which led on to P2F first reared its ugly head in Ryanair and a whole bunch of smaller low-cost airlines around Europe, some of which are no longer with us like Sky Europe.

Now I'm sure you're aware of the union situation at Ryanair, the captains there have enough of a fight on their hands to stop O'leary cutting their own salaries in half year after year after year, without getting mixed up in cadet politics. And if you are an out-of-work captain who's just been offered a job with a dodgy start up lo-cost airline, will you refuse it because you don't like the contract that's on offer to the new FO's?

At the end of the day it's about SUPPLY and DEMAND and the ability of the management to sell an outrageously bad deal to a bunch of young people who are, at the end of the day, 99% of them are chasing their dream they've had since they were kids - and want that dream so badly they will do just about anything to get it. If they want it badly enough ... and the management want to give it them, it's very hard for the established pilots to stop the two getting together