PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doolittle B-25 engine mods?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 18:55
RJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
successfully got off without takeoff flaps. The pilot readily admitted that he simply forgot them.
I read that. Amazing.

Thanks Kitbag. Given the list of other modifications, it seems safe to assume they left the engines alone.

Out of interest, I found this during my investigations in a printed account by Lt. Ted W. Lawson:

"With full flaps, engines at full throttle and his left wing far out over the port side of the Hornet, Doolittle's plane waddled and then lunged slowly into the teeth of the gale that swept down the deck. His left wheel stuck on the white line as if it were a track. His right wing, which had barely cleared the wall of the island as he taxied and was guided up to the starting line, extended nearly to the edge of the starboard side.

We watched him like hawks, wondering what the wind would do to him, and whether we could get off in that little run toward the bow. If he couldn't, we couldn't.

Doolittle picked up more speed and held to his line, and, just as the Hornet lifted itself up on the top of a wave and cut through it at full speed, Doolittle's plane took off. He had yards to spare. He hung his ship almost straight up on its props, until we could see the whole top of his B-25. Then he leveled off and I watched him come around in a tight circle and shoot low over our heads-straight down the line painted on the deck."