PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat pilots : Are they really safe for Indian Aviation ?
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 18:35
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Viking320 ... I am not Australian, I've been to Australia once in my life, for a weeks' holiday. So what if I was Australian would that somehow make you feel a bit more self righteous for accusing me of all those unfair things you said?

And you talk about the Australian aborigines??!! What the hell they have to do with an article slagging off expat pilots in India, I do not know where you got that idea from. If you want to talk about them though and what I think, I think the whole world agrees that what went on in the name of European colonization was truly horrible and wrong, whether it was Australia or India or South America or anywhere else. But you can't keep blaming the problems of today on things that went on 200 years ago. So here's an idea to test your theory, why don't you go to Australia some time and go to the outback, go find the worst, poorest, no hope aboriginal settlement you can find, and ask the guys that live there whether they would like to trade places with someone who lives in that slum off the end of 27 in BOM?

You're right on your other guess though Viking I do work in the Gulf, where Indians and Europeans and Africans and every other nationality in the world are all "expats", the airline here treats us equally. And nobody seems to have a problem with it we just get on with our jobs. We have some good and bad "expats" here. We have some good and bad locals here. Nobody here seems to write hysterical newspaper articles blaming "expats" when bad things happen.

If you want to write newspaper articles that attack INDIVIDUAL pilots or airlines or authorities or whatever, for accidents that have occurred, and call them unsafe for India, then that is your right. But blaming whole groups for the actions of a few is offensive and wrong.

Look at how angry Pakistan is this week over the comments of the British PM re terrorism, that was a wrong thing for him to say as well. Nobody can deny that there are some terrorists in Pakistan, just like nobody can deny the majority of Pakistanis are not terrorists they are just normal people trying to live their lives. But it is wrong for a political leader to talk about a whole country like they are "terrorists", and it is wrong for a major newspaper to talk about "expats" like they are all bad and dangerous and use the actions of a few, to paint them all with the same brush.

All you guys attacking me personally, let's talk about the actual newspaper article, lets hear your actual opinion on the article itself and a simple "yes" or "no" do you agree with its position on expat pilots? And if so, why, and if not, why not.