PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy to Buy F18F
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 18:29
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me, I just don't see this. I think that this has all of the elements of a great RN canard: Super Bug is no match for F-35, which the RAAF has underscored by buying both.

Who knows whether or not the QE/PoW/CVF (perhaps we should call the design "Shazza", to go with "Dave") survives the SDSR? The main point is that the UK will slim its number of FJ types to two - Typhoon & something else. Based on the premise that we can't afford to buy any new aircraft for most of the next decade, the short-term choice is between:

- Some GR4s (and either Marham or Lossie);
- All the Harriers (and Wittering)
- All the Harriers and some GR4s.

What I can't see is retaining all the remaining Harriers because of CVF at the expense of the GR4s, as the GR4 is simply more capable and much more useful.

Personally, I would chop QE CVF and Harrier, and replace GR4 with Dave-C in the 2018-2022 period. But if we go ahead with CVF, could we lease some carrier capable jets / buy some used F-18A/Cs pending the arrival of Dave-C? It's going to be a better choice than buying a new type (Rafale or Super Bug) that will not offer the capability of Dave come 2022.

S41