PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 17:43
Uncle Wiggily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cabinready:

I totally understand your frustration! I have been in the same boat. 4000TT, 2900 Jet, Typed in B744 and a 3 other biz jets. I don't have 300 hours in the B744, so that excludes many of the jobs on Parc, Rishworth etc. I have not found a job since late Spring of 2008. I also have FAA and JAA and right to work in the EU and USA. Doesn't matter.

Airlines today look at experience as a negative...i.e. you are not a money making device for their operation. A new cadet does provide income for the airline. The only other option is Direct entry Captain. But, you require time in the exact type of aircraft that the airline is operating. So 20,000 hours in A320 does very little if you are after the 737NG job.

I recently cashed in my chips and got out of the industry. Moved into another industry (this was not easy...got lucky in that the guy interviewing me was another former Captain who got fed up w/ the flying "career" as well, i.e. he knew where I was coming from.)

After deregulation in the US, this profession slowly went to the dogs. After the creation of RYR and EZ's "become a really cool pilot" schemes...the industry went to the dogs in Europe.

Yes, this job is cyclical and better days will be here again, but bad days will follow the good days again. What do you do if you are in your 50s and made redundant? What if your particular time in a particular jet is not in the jet the hiring company operates? You have built up your CV...for what? In every other industry, a built-up CV is a positive and you can use that experience to negotiate terms and conditions in your favour. Not in aviation. You will have to start at the bottom with a seniority number at a salary that won't pay your bills.

If you can find that pilot dream job, then more power to ya. I would be jealous..seriously. For me, enough was enough and I made the move. I now have a steady salary and learning skills that can be easily transferable to future jobs that are more abundant than pilot jobs.

You need to do an honest evaluation of your position w/ friends and family. You must steer your own ship.

Good luck!