PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 13:57
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well if it makes you feel any better ... I'm totally fed up with this career as well, and I've got 7000TT and half of that on long haul heavy jets ... had my little 2 year old boy crying down the skype at me again this morning because he wants daddy to give him a cuddle and can't understand why I'm away, and only talking to him through the computer screen AGAIN for the rest of the week.

Honestly guys aviation is trashed from one end of this world to the other. The glory days of the big European flag carriers are over, nobody flies with them short haul any more thanks to Ryan and Easy, and they're getting their asses kicked by the arab airlines on most of their long haul routes. I thought about going back to my old job (Easyjet) but they're only taking P2F guys and contract pilots on pathetic T&C's, and the latest is they're giving "seasonal commands" to their senior FO's so they can turf out all the contractors in the winter

Out here in the sandpit you can still make money but by god you work hard for it, the rostering is so horrific and it's such a hell of a lifestyle especially for your family that very few people (except those from third world countries) are prepared to stay here and tough it out long enough to call it a "career" any more.

Asia is probably the best bet now, but just about all the growth there will also come in the low cost and contract-pilot markets, the historically great expat airlines like Cathay and Singapore are a shadow of their former selves when it comes to careers for non-nationals.

I'm leaving the sandpit in the next few weeks for a contract agency job in the far east and unless something miraculous happens in terms of half decent airline jobs in my home country (down under) I plan to be out of this rotten profession altogether before my kids start school, I'll seriously re train and go work in IT, or any kind of job that lets me leave my desk at 5 pm and go home (considering that half this forum is IT people who want to be airline pilots, that should bring a smirk to a few faces).