PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which qualifications for a job in Safety?
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 13:03
hugel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City University have an excellent MSc.
Indeed it does. They run three related courses:

MSc Air Transport Management
MSc Air Safety Management
MSc Aircraft Maintenance Management

The course is modular and you complete eight modules plus a project for the MSc. A Diploma or Certificate is also feasible if you want to do just the taught parts.

The modules are three days taught lectures each (though I think this is soon to increase) as is the extent coursework. They can be taken over up to four years.

I have just finished the Air Transport Management one and I thoroughly recommend it....

1) almost all students are professionals in their mid 30s and above. I don't recall meeting anyone that was completely new to the industry. The information exhange and networking possibilities are therefore very good.

2) Partly because of (1) the knowledge imparted relates to the real world, and is practical and current.

3) Because of the shared courses it is possible to study elective modules from a different stream and broaden your outlook if you wish. For example: I studied "Accident Investigation", "Crisis Management" and "Safety by Design".

4) This wealth of choices means that it gives the student with a day job plenty of flexibility in attendance. This was important for me.

Having finished the course, it left a void in my life and I looked around for another similar course. A few I considered

MSc Positioning and Navigation Technology (Nottingham)
MSc Human Factors and Safety Assessment in Aeronautics (Cranfield)
MSc International Defence and Security Marketing (Cranfield)

What I noticed is that while they all claim to be "part time" and "modular", completion is over a short period (especially for a Certificate or Diploma) and more importantly the modules are only run once per year with compulsory modules and some with prerequisite modules such that you cannot afford to miss it first time around. This makes these courses much more inflexible. It is worthing asking all these questions before you sign on the dotted line. Be aware that is you already have a qualification at the same level, you will pay more than a UK student that doesn't.

Regarding the "Jack of All Trades" approach of an ATM MSc, for some people that is exactly the objective: as an engineer my experience of the user and infrastructure was limited: study of Airports, Airline Operations etc gave a very good appreciation of the real benefits that equipment provide.

hugel