PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE regulator to suspend BlackBerry services from October 11
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 09:45
Ali Bin Somewhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct me if i am wrong [and i probably am] but in the US/UK/CAN etc the gov can only read the data once they have gone through the correct judicial chanels and have proven that they need access to the data to protect national security.[i know big brother can manufacture data but alot harder to get away with it over there]

the problem that RIM have is that there are no judicial procedures that are the equivilent of those found in the US/UK/CAN in place with governments in the middle east or sub-continent. In other words there is no agreement between the UAE and CAN to allow for these requests to be submitted and processed under CAN law.

Perhaps a better solution [but one that would not allow for the evesdropping that the UAE gov want] would be to broker a governmental agreement between UAE/whoever that allows for legitimate legal requests for information. Part of that problem is that once a legal agreement is set regarding data then there are other implications including tax, criminal extradition, family law etc etc because with all things government its a two way street. i.e. you give us BB data on suspected terrorist "Mr Mad Jack McMad" based on this data we "found" and we will give you income details on "MR I Makeatonofcash".

I must admit though i am sort of looking forward to life without my BB going off all the time.

More then anything remember where you live and keep in mind the 2 buckets. one for cash one for sh*&. its time to go when either one is full. i think i have about 5 more scoops to go in my second bucket. I don't know anyone who has ever filled the cash one first.