PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Copilot or Turboprop PIC
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:37
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever flown command commercially? If you have, then this should be as close to a no-brainer as you can get.
PIC time is better than SIC time, hands down.
The position of commander is one which demands respect - by oneself as others.
Commanders normally get paid better.
As PIC you get the opportunity to shape your own day - plans of action, mood in the cockpit and with the cabin crews.
And then some Qs...
How will either decision affect your income?
How about the other terms, as LOL, job security, bases etc?
How are the rosters?
How is the flying vs what you like to do? No point sitting 8-10hrs a day on A/P if you really love handflying.
Will you be away from home a lot? How will this affect your family and social life?

If you don`t already have an ATPL, the command position will require that you have one - i.e. one up from your CPL

My 2 cents; if you want some good command experience go for the TP, then, if you want to a few years down the line, go for the jet if that makes you happy. On the way you will most certainly have gained some good command experience, and probably done a bit more handflying, and met some younger colleagues. A lot of people, often fresh out of the academy, seem to think that the jet equals happiness. It may or may not. It all depends on what is important to you (not anyone else), and what satisfies yourself.

I must say, that if you are in a position to choose between 2 flying jobs, then you are in a very envious position to may aspiring pilots Good for you!