PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 07:17
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
BGG:
Chug, the points that Rigga made are still valid even though he refers to a civil model.
Absolutely accepted, but this situation is peculiar to the entire Military Air Fleet. I cannot believe that the CAA would ever have caused such a massive problem with the Civilian one. In practical terms there is no way that the entire Military Fleet can be grounded whilst Rigga's process is carried out. This will take decades to put behind us even if we start right now. Some fleets will be compromised right up to withdrawal (indeed one already has been). So huge decisions will be needed about what flies and what doesn't and why, and where, and when. Those decisions must be made by the very best airworthiness professionals available, albeit in close consultation with the MOD. Bottom line is though they can say no to the MOD and mean it. This is plain chicken and egg, I cannot see how you can have the one without already ensuring the other, so when you say:
I can't disagree with your sentiments, but it does tend to distract from any other sensible discussion.
I would simply reply that you won't have a sensible discussion if it is not predicated with the vital need for a seperate and independent MAA.