PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Q400's for QF Link..
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 02:36
Kingswood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normasars,

On failure rates, I can think of a few off the top of my head, but massive? Hardly. I think you are getting a bit carried away regarding 'these people' there mate! You also appear to have conflated the idea of the odd upgrade difficulty with a general pushback regarding the cultural change enforced on the northerners. They are not the same issue, and you have unnecessarily inflamed the discussion by allowing yourself the indulgence of linking the two. I asked you for factual detail on 'the problems that were encountered with the introduction of the Q400', not a ‘comment I heard on more than a few occasions’.

The point I am drawing you to is this: There may well be a few reasons why EAA/SSA may not be tasked to introduce a regional jet to the QF Group, but a lack of capacity to deal with ‘problems’ is not one of them.

During the course of the Q400 introduction, there were in fact many ‘problems’ to overcome. Think GFC, crew shortages, unprecedented route expansion, maddening mechanical teething troubles, and yes, some crew upgrades, to name a few. All crew and flight ops staff were pushed beyond their comfort zone, and ultimately the organization was transformed. For better or worse, it is a very different EAA/SSA group that fly the line today. It may not be the relaxed environment it once was, but a few things are certain: It is very capable, very compliant and an organisation of the highest calibre.

And most importantly, the problems were largely solved. In fact the organisation has been so successful in introducing the new type that the Q400 is now the sustaining fleet. There it is, out there every day, paying our wages, growing our network, growing jobs for new pilots, cabin crew and support staff.

The sheer number of Q400 movements out of BN alone on a daily basis should establish at least one very clear point in your head: This organization now has a demonstrated track record of capably introducing a relatively complex new type across the network, over a relatively short timeframe.

I'll let you count up the reasons why
'Sunstate and/or Eastern well NEVER operate jet equipment'
but I assure you it won’t be because EAA/SSA can’t deal with the ‘problems’.

Kingswood.