PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 22:23
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Rigga:
Tuc said:
"No magic wand will make the UK Military Fleet airworthy again."
Actually I said it Rigga, but thank you for at least showing that I never used the word never! Neither do you I notice, but nevertheless you give your list of requirements for a CAA CofA. Fair enough and point taken, but as you will know and as no doubt others are about to remind you in short order, this thread is about Military Airworthiness, not Civil. That still means that the UK Military Airworthiness Regulations need to be fully applied again! Easy to say but not so easy to do, but stage one must be that application be truly independent. As I have posted before, if BA (or any other airline) were in charge of enforcing its own airworthiness regulations rather than complying with those of an independent regulator as now, I doubt if they'd attract many, if any, pax. Gnd tells us to put our faith in ALARP as we're (or in my case, were?) rough tough military, not numpty softy civvies (well OK he didn't, please excuse the artistic license). This has got nothing to do with military mores, but with avoiding needless waste of people and planes, so that there are more of both available to do the rough tough stuff. However, some very senior officers decided that was all too costly and took far too long. They have been shown to have been very very wrong, and it's time they were made to account for that.