PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 18:07
tucumseh

Received 192 Likes on 71 Posts
Never be airworthy again – pish!
Try as I may I can't find anyone saying aircraft will never be airworthy again. Those that aren't - and I'm sure the MAA have already worked that one out - can be made so by following a few simple rules. What we need is people who are willing to stick their heads above the parapet and tell it like it is; and then be given the resources to fix it. Of course, being able to recite the regulations and having the skill to implement them are two entirely different things. MoD stopped training people in the latter in the early 90s when the "maintaining" airworthiness system was largely disbanded.

For instance, a key submission was made in 2000 to DPA's Deputy Chief Executive (3 Star) making some detailed recommendations. DCE did not reply.

What is inescapable is that if one read H-C first, you are left asking "How do we implement these recommendations". But if one read the old submission first, and implemented the recommendations, H-C would have been unnecessary. Some may sneer at this, but the fact remains Adam Ingram was warned, in writing, of the failures reiterated by H-C - many months BEFORE XV230 crashed. He was advised by MoD to reject this warning, which he did 9 months AFTER the crash. That very simple, irrefutable fact, is the most damning thing about this tragedy.