PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy to Buy F18F
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 15:44
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are discussing the F model here are we not? Which, forgive me if I'm wrong, is a two-seater. If the RN believe they can take this aircraft on without RAF 'jointery' where exactly are they going to get/train their WSO's from? If they say they can retrain current RW observers then they are admitting that they are over manned in that department - if the F18F bid fails then guess what? Some sharp eyed Air RP or Army RP chap is going to notice the RN-admission of over manning in Navy RW observer manning and raise an option to delete said posts. If they say then can train them from scratch at Culdrose over the next 5-6 years the Financial Officer on whichever company has won the MFTS contract there will be rubbing his hands together with glee as he prepares to add several 'noughts' to the end of the cost of the re-negotiated contract (and to add on Jimlad1's view - an OCU of 10-15 aircraft and two 12 strong squadrons requires approximately 60 crews minimum (using a lowish crewing ratio and non availability factor) and including an allowance for OEU etc. Thats a lot of back seaters to train up from scratch (and then hope the USN will keep current until our aircraft / carriers are available)).

The alternative, and better option, is to follow the jointery route. The RAF could offer up JFH and some of the GR4 fleet in return for an equal (as was agreed for F35) share of the F18F manning. RN observers (and pilots) could be fed through the GR4 route now thus making the transition smoother in the long term. And forget 800/801/899/1(F)/IV(AC)/20(R) numberplates - be brave and just call it the Carrier Air Group (or something suitable that our Allies will understand!), commanded alternatively by a Wg Cdr and a Cdr (with an EXO of the opposite colour cloth) and have 3 squadrons underneath (let's call them A, B and C Sqn (where A and B are the operational outfits commanded by sqn ldr / lt cdr and C Sqn is the Conversion Unit (again alternatively commanded by sqn ldr / lt cdr) - stop the rank creep now!)

The problem with these options is both the heads of the Air Force and the Navy want total control (and I suspect part of this is being badly briefed by over-zealous staff officers at OF4/OF5 rank trying to make a name for themselves....) - neither wishes to lose face or not on my watch etc etc. Hopefully General Richards will knock some heads together (he may need to stand on a box to do it ) and everyone will come out of SDSR "winners" (or at least not total losers). Except the Army - who can only win!

Sadly I fear that as it requires compromise from both sides it will never be allowed to work