PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitude Tests
Thread: Aptitude Tests
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 13:25
Heliskier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck to both of you off to OASC soon. I have done the full RAF aptitude tests 3 times (don't ask, it's a long story) and passed well every time even though I have never owned a computer games console, don't play FS and didn't buy any aptitude test package. I did try the free online tests that are scattered around the web and they are helpful for getting used to following the instructions to abstract tasks. The major thing to practice for the RAF tests is definitely your mental arithmetic. The most intense excercise is the CLAN test and if your mental arithmetic (ie: multiplication of 8 x 12 or division such 169/13) is up to scratch then it frees up some capacity to deal with the other parts of the test. One other area that could be worth practising is your comprehension. There are several sets of questions based on texts a few paragraphs long which need a true, false or not enough info answer. The time pressure on these can be quite high so get used to picking relevant facts out of articles (you should be able to find practice tests on the web). Overall, be prepared for a long morning. It is an early start and some people do have to come back after lunch to finish all of the tests but you do get plenty of breaks throughout the tests. As long as you read the instructions to each test carefully and use the examples before each test starts then you will be giving it your best shot. If you want any more info about the tests or the rest of OASC, I've done phase 2 twice and passed both times, then pm me.