PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 10:38
License to Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBunker
Ah,

You might wish to ponder the reality of what the "58 hrs" conversion training actually entails. The groundschool is 2 weeks in and of itself followed by a number (in double figures) of simulator details, followed by line training and route check. How many qualified trainers do you think we have, let alone trainers willing to train up their own replacements, or outsiders who are conversant with BA FCPM, FCTM and SOP?
Mr bunker - you make a very good point. Apart from scaremongering about what might happen in the future, certain CC keep comparing their jobs (and Terms and conditions) to the everyone else in BA.

I don't meant to be flipant here, but most know the (pilot/CC) jobs are so different, but just because we share the same "office", people compare as equals for terms/conditions/scheme. This point goes for Waterside employee's and other ground staff - we all love our jobs in BA and all have their stresses/T&C's related to that, based on some sort of industry standard - not based against the cabin crew or other work groups.

I just wish the cabin crew would compare what they had against other airlines/the world economy and be grateful that :-

a) they have a job
b) they have had it good for so long

..... but the times are now a changing, I think the appropriate axiom is "adapt or die" .

I think the 900+ people who have signed the BA agreement are very sensible and will end up with better t&C's than those that haven't. If a strike ballot is called, the offer I am sure will subtly change and obviously be worse, and this may go on and on the longer strikes go on (well someone has to pay for this cost to BA) ... a good reason not to be in BASSA. I am sure WW will not sack people as he has been very fair, but he can make peoples lives very difficult if he chooses.

I used to think that CC who say they are staying in BASSA just to vote and once its all solved, they will leave, had a very good view. Now i am not too sure as they may loose the right to take the current offer from BA, whilst due to the strong number of militants and fractured leadership, their vote will not really change anything. What do others think ?