PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Route ?
Thread: Which Route ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 10:20
smangnall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive thoughts!

Before the usual rabble come along and start throwing abuse in your general direction I will try and start with a positive note.

If like me it was always your dream to fly then don't let anyone talk you out of it or deter you from achieving you goals, however as has been stated so many times on here give it some thought and consideration and don't go running off to the first FTO that gives you a brochure. I can see that you have already postponed your plans and given due consideration and that is excellent.

I can give you some advice (as can others on here) that is positive and not start ranting about the lack of jobs.

There are no jobs out there at the minute....FACT. But things will change as they always do and if you are not in a hurry then the modular route is perfect as you can work, save and then fly and do the whole thing in stages which also allows you to absorb all the information that is thrown at you during the various stages.

The UK is a very expensive place to learn to fly.....FACT. However that said the level of training received is much better than that you would receive in the USA (I did the USA thing for my PPL and struggled for a while upon return to the UK with various elements that were badly taught / not taught at all) and I am talking about the good schools! My opinion take it or leave it.

Never pay up front for any scheme with any FTO, if they go bump then bye bye savings, always set up a payment plan or just top up an account as and when you run low.

Try not to string the training out over too long a period, do your PPL as quickly as you can then do your hour building over a longer period. Then do your ATPL's as quickly as you can followed by your CPL. Think about the career path at that time, don't just rush into doing an IR as most of the time you would be better off doing an FI rating (no jobs at present but see above) and working up some experience first.

Please ignore the ultra negative comments that usually get thrown around on here, but also go into this endeavour with eyes wide open and realise that the overall cost is high and the chances of gaining employment soon after training are slim. So long as you are under no false illusions of what you are embarking upon then no-one can berate you for it.

Best of luck with your training, please PM me if you want some more positive advice.

Simon