PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Q400's for QF Link..
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 09:19
Gen. Anaesthetic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR

Of course you are absolutely right that the thousands of mainline members are not going to cheer on the handful of Qantaslink members who are also part of AIPA in getting jets. But the question remains, what can they or AIPA really do about this? We're not talking about a Jetconnect or Jetstar situation where there is perhaps some grey area around foreign aircrew operating as part of an essentially Australian airline. It's a genuine question, and I ask it also of you Toruk. It's not like AIPA are going to necessarily push for Q'link to operate jets - we all know that's highly unlikely. Rather it's a case of Qantas wanting to use Eastern/Sunstate because it is the most efficient operation in the Qantas Group (yes, even more efficient than Jet*). AIPA know this, and are attempting to play a realistic fight rather than belligerently fighting losing battles. Well that's my impression anyway...

For the record I don't care whether or not Q'link end up with jets. My enjoyment of work comes from the people I am surrounded by.

Additionally Normasars, I would suggest that there are enough pilots in Q'link who have demonstrated throughout the Q400 introduction that a newer and more exciting aircraft does not necessarily mean everyone is going to rush to get on it. In the more recent vacancy bids at Eastern there have been barely enough people apply to fill the spots and this relates largely - but not solely - to the perception that Q400 pilots are not paid enough for what they do. It's not just because there aren't enough people who qualify. In fact there are plenty of people who qualify. With the introduction of the Q400 fresh in a lot of minds, I don't think people are just going to go all starry eyed about a jet straight away. In fact even though there is all the talk about jets, a lot of people are so fed up with the Q'link way of doing things that they are nevertheless looking to move on.