PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Payday at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 05:22
TonyWilliams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see no difference to the regionals in the USA. If the pay is two to three weeks late every month? I agree that is bad. Twice the pay late is better than half the pay ontime. All other working conditions are the same.

All other working conditions are not the same as a regional in the USA. First, you won't be going home for 56 days at a time. You'll live in a hotel (or presumably someday a pilot compound) the entire time.

We are currently under order by the CP to not leave Lagos during that time. You won't go anywhere while here, except where you fly to. You won't get malaria at a regional in the USA. You won't have guys with AK-47's on the streets during your drive to work in the USA. Every street isn't lined with an open sewer in the USA.

You won't have a monthly roster. Usually, you have no idea if you're working or not until the evening before. In the USA, there's a winter. It's hot every single day here. Just some days are hotter than others. The pollution (air, water, land) is something that has to been seen to be believed. You won't be taking evening strolls through the neighborhood. (at the hotel I'm currently at, a few months ago, two pilots were armed at gunpoint at the gate in front of the hotel... neither works here anymore).

It's not hard to have higher pay than a US regional. McDonalds does (by the way, no McDonalds in Nigeria). But, there, you go home every night to your family.