PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When will airlines start preparing safety cases?
Old 1st Aug 2010, 22:35
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
ISO9001 just doesn't fit into what happens to an airline either.

Can't agree with that observation.

A 9000 management system can be very simple or highly complex according to the needs of the entity (and the understanding of the folk putting it together). Problems arise when the activity tries to map itself to a pre-ordained system (failure in the making) rather than developing a compliant system to suit the requirement .. not much different to the basic philosophical problems in aircraft design, I suggest. If the operation basically is sound, the bulk of 9000 considerations will ALREADY be in place.

but it's essentially a production or manufacturing system that can't really cope

9000 started life in Industry to address the problems and difficulties associated with customer audit. It is just a codification into a commonsense system of important considerations when it comes to "ways of doing things".

I'm involved with a high end corporate operation and the whole engineering and maintenance activity is 9000 compliant - nothing in that causes us any significant problems. Coincidentally, I have been involved extensively with design and manufacturing in previous lives and the same applied.

without getting complicated, costing time (and yes, money too) that is needed to meet timelines.

Unless you are making paddlepop stick models with a pot of glue in your backyard, all activities involve resource costs. The system need only be as complicated as you want to make it .. complexity for complexity's sake is a waste of time.