PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question fron an SLF to CC
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2010, 18:49
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lucavigg. Fair question and I'll try to answer it as honestly as I can!

First, the break aspect. Every UK airline has to provide time for their crew to have a break on long haul flights and, if I remember correctly, it should be away from their work stations so technically, the crew should not have to request the seat belt signs to be put on just to give them a breather. However, as is usual in life, some airlines do that better than others. The one I currently work for does provide both places for us to rest and system of how breaks should be taken. Unfortunately, my previous airline did neither and when I raised this issue, the reply was that we could go into the flight deck and have our breaks there! I'm guessing they've never tried to squeeze 7 in the front of a 767. I'm also guessing they've never operated on a crammed full charter Cancun either! (Good old CHIRP! What a total waste of time!)

In your case, I can't really say whether the crew asked for the seat belt signs to be switched on or not. In some ways, doing so would increase the work load as everyone then has to rely on the call bell, including those that have strolled up to the galley to get a drink. Plus, of course, the aircraft has to be secured for turbulence by the crew. On the other hand, I have been in the situation that Top Bunk mentioned, trying to grab a quick meal in between passengers coming into the galley for drinks. I do remember one particularly busy flight when we had finally sat down with our dinners about 5 hrs into the flight. Our bums had barely hit the atlas boxes before one lady poked her head through the curtain and commented on the fact that she was glad we were finally getting a break to sit down and have something to eat. She then asked for another lager! She didn't seem to see the irony in her request.

I personally have never asked for the seat belt signs to be put on for the crew to have a break but I will hold my hand up and say that on very rare occasions, I have requested them to be put on if the situation with people standing in the aisles and by the doors is getting out of hand. I will try to get them seated through more normal means first but if they don't comply, then from my perspective it becomes a safety issue.

Firstly, it means we can't get through quickly in the event of an emergency, be it fire, medical or security. Then there's clear air turbulence, a nasty and highly unpredictable phenomenon that can hit when you least expect it. Have a look at the threads over the years, the latest being the AA incident approx 2 weeks ago. And finally, it can be annoying for those seated near the doors/toilets etc. Bear in mind that everything seems to be magnified inflight and that includes tempers. Trouble can flare very quickly and that's something you really don't want to have to deal with in the close confines of an aircraft, mid Atlantic.

Finally, one last point. Occasionally, again just as in life, whats promised never materialises. So the pilots can be warned of turbulence in the area, warn us and put the seat belt signs on. We then run about securing the cabin and dependant on the advised severity, getting ourselves strapped in only for nothing whatsoever to happen! I say that but usually nothing will happen until they switch the signs off again at which point all hell will break loose! Think it's something to do with some bloke called Sod and his law.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any definite answers but hope that may explain some of the issues.

Jsl

P.S. Did I pass, Capetonian? Huh? Did I?