PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR - Can the Min Def and Joint Chiefs just say no!?
Old 1st Aug 2010, 18:01
Op_Twenty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit that I had thought along the same lines - why should the military care about the country having a nuclear deterrent exactly? It’s a political tool for our leaders to use to effect foreign policy. The problem comes when you think that, for example, the RN might require the deterrent to maintain their budget – but you have to remember to look around the newspaper headlines – that sounded patronising, it wasn’t meant to be I promise! The treasury know that by telling the military to pay for the deterrent itself, they (the Services) will have to make significant cuts elsewhere. This is what the Government wants, to allow those cuts and subsequent ‘capability holidays’ to not be ‘completely’ attributable to the Government. Another name for it is, I suppose, ‘manufacturing consent’ where the government asks the people for their opinions on how to save money – it is then able to, when pushed, say ‘you guys gave us the ideas – we’re in this together’. Don’t listen to Goldman Sachs’ comments on the recovery, anyone but Goldmans! – they just got hit with a $600 miliion fine for lying and it’s in their interest to tell you about the recovering economy – it’s like believing everything the BBC says as an ‘impartial’ voice even though it’s directors are appointed by, wait for it – the Government (or estate agent saying ‘house prises are on the rise again – buy now!) Think also – if you were the CAS, CDS, CGS, 1SL/CNS etc, would you leave in a huff, losing all the prestige and honour that you’ve worked so hard to gain (and your peerage Lord West – not such a ‘simple sailor’ after all) or do you concentrate on your pension and your future earnings of millions advising the defence industry. You are right, though, when you say that it’s not a policy driven review, I agree- but then it never really has been. No military has ever fought with everything they’ve always wanted; they just do the best with what they have. I guess the people that will survive this will be those that just roll with the punches, not those that throw their teddies out. Drop kick the Harriers and don’t buy anymore tanks, as much fun as tanks are – The Times, which I hate btw, was saying that the RN are looking at F/A-18’s instead of the JSF to save money; again – do you think BAE Systems will let that go unchallenged, er – no - British jobs and all that. This country has gone to the dogs under a Labour Government, this is the Tories trying to patch things up – you want to know where the money’s gone then look at the Government that allowed the gap between the rich and the poor to increase at a greater rate than that of any British Government ever – a Labour Government, not exactly supporting the little man in my eyes.

You’re not missing nuffing – it’s nice to see someone posting some reasoned arguments and not just some random whingeing; I might even start reading the forum again.

Wyler's right - it's just politics buddy, just concentrate on keeping your job. Oh, and don't think about it so much - it's not personal, all industries are getting the same treatment.