PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2010, 07:40
Safety Concerns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps they should have exchanges with German and American unions, who seem to work much better with employers at times of difficulty.
Where's the basis for that statement? Northwest, United, both disasters from the workers/union perspective.

Germans strike too you know. What was it last time, train drivers I believe.

The root cause goes far deeper. Unions are democratic, leaders are elected. If you vote for someone then one should assume you support their policies. If however you are not interested and the union is only there for when you need them (me,me,me) then you get what you deserve should a radical bunch take over.

It is like anything including marriage; it takes 2 to tango or make something work. If members interact with their union this shouldn't happen.

But we also need to accept that BA isn't the first dispute of this type. Most of the others however found a compromise. Could it possibly be in this case that the rhetoric has gone on for too long and each leader is now unable to compromise?

If and I say if that is the case, then changes need to be made at the top as far as the negotiations are concerned.

@litebulbs works council nice idea but works councils will always have limitations until they become a union. There will always be a need at some point for complete independent intervention on an issue. It may work though if management would also move a little further away from the master/slave attitude.

Even then you need the mother organisation to campaign and lobby on the bigger issues. Imagine no BALPA and then having to bring all works councils together to fight for less working hours for pilots for example, very unlikely.