PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefox 4.0 Beta
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2010, 06:55
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keef
I've been updating as the new versions come out, and not had any new problems. I might have a go with 4.0 Beta, though. I used to run three levels of Firefox on the PC in the days when they had code names (I forget, now, what they were). I stopped that when I was playing with Windows 7 Beta and didn't want too much instability.

The old problem remains: about once a day Firefox will crash, tell me how embarrassed it is, ask to send a notification to Mum, and offer to restore my tabs.

I can't blame it entirely for that, because I like to be in control of what my machine does. I don't let it put the config stuff umpty levels down in the bowels of C: drive - I have it in my "Internet" drive (drive I, cos I have a vivid imagination) in a folder called Firefox. The weekly backup routine copies the config file, bookmarks, and the like.

Thunderbird likewise is constrained to put everything into IMail where I can see when the .msf files get over-bloated, and delete them.

I've got the "new" version of Thunderbird on the laptop, but I prefer having the "Reply", "Forward" etc buttons up in the main tool bar rather than down in the middle of the page so I've not gone "new" on the main machine.
You can put the 'Reply' etc buttons up in the main tool bar if you wish just customise and drag the buttons on..(sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs)
As for FF I've never had any problems or crash instances. All my add ons have always worked. Even when forcing compatibility I've had no problems.....The only thing stopping me downloading the latest beta is the positioning of the Tabs above the tool bar.