PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which helmet?
Thread: Which helmet?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2002, 07:24
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm not sure even I'd go as far as wearing a helmet in a C150, but I'll not criticise you for doing so. Before you spend any money however, check you actually have any headroom with an electric hat on - unless you are as short as I or Whirlybird, you may struggle.

Apart from the rather gash thing DC sell, three UK companies make 2-part headset/helmet systems for microlight use. These are Communica, Lynx and Airzone. All of these will go over pretty much any headset, all have the option of removable visors, and they're all pretty comfortable. I'd suggest looking at Lynx first, which are reputed to be the strongest.

Visors make sense, since your eyes are rather more sensitive than your skull. But, they do look a bit daft in an enclosed cockpit (not, I hasten to add, that has ever worried the RAF, who's sartiorial elegance is only ever criticised by the army and navy). But, you might like to consider that any optician will happily make "workshop" strengthened glasses up for you, if you don't wear glasses already, I've no doubt they can make you up a nice set of aviator shades, which are at-least as proof against flying debris as a helmet visor.

G