PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transiting from PC12 to a faster plane
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2010, 07:24
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, Spunky Monkey has it right, the CJ2+ would be ideal. It has more power than the 1, especially when using bleed air for anti-ice and SE. The difference between the 2+ and the 3 is not as big as between the 1 and the 2+.
The FADEC in a 1+,2+ or 3 is worth gold especially for the not so experienced.
The avionic in the 1+.2+ and 3 is very, very good especially with the JeppView maps build in.

Since you don´t write about your aviation background I assume that you´re not professionally flying. Do yourself a favour and get a proper typerating at FlightSafety, get a 2 year fullservice contract which entitles you for free training and do 2 refreshers a year.
Also, if you would fly the first jet, get yourself a good, experienced instructor for the first 14 days. Amazing how steep the learning curve can be if you do that. (I had a factory paid pilot with me the first 2 weeks on the Challenger 300, I already had some 7000 hours then and still liked the iput given very much) In todays market you might be able to negotiate something like that for free...

About turbines that never fail...a relative of mine was a commercial pilot from 1960 to 2004, flying anything between Piper Apaches and Twin Otters. In 18000hrs there was only one engine failure: a PT6 that had fuel pump shaft failure (Piper Cheyenne).

The PC12 is a fantastic aeroplane, but I share your worries in bad wx, night etc.