PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging taxi time for aborted flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 16:57
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
I'd put it more directly. Anyone wanting to log taxying time to the runway and back without having flown must be an utter ar$e.

I taxyed a Vulcan a couple of years ago and yes, put it in my logbook because it was rare and interesting - and it was exactly 25 years since I'd last taxyed one. But as for logging the time? No!

I also have the following in my logbook:

29 Sep 1991 Fury ISS N36SF Southampton Docks (0545Z) - Southampton Airport (0710Z). Remarks: Road tow, av. GS 3.9 Kts.

But it's on a photo stuck to the page!

Should I have logged the taxying time for all the Hunter compass swings I did in 1976? I think not!
So why put it in your logbook at-all then?

- Because it's interesting, and

- Because it reminds you of the lessons learned that day, and

- Because it is actually relevant to experience. Taxying with intention of flight means all of the preparation and planning for that flight, RT, decision making not to fly were all there and are relevant to your profile as a pilot.

I've just scanned through my logbook (thanks to it all being on a computer these days this is quite easy) and find four flights in 21 years where the flight was abandoned after I started to taxi out (2 sets of fouled plugs, one nosewheel steering failure, one radio failure at an airshow and another two where we abandoned after engine start but before taxi (a hyd caption, and an airbrake caption). The logged time comes to 0.07% of my total flying hours, but I can remember each event and I can think of lessons I learned from each.

So, actually, they may punch well above their weight in terms of learning value - whilst having no significant impact on my numerical ability to gain or maintain any licence or rating.

On that basis, nope, I'll leave them in my logbook thanks, even if you think I'm an ar$e for doing so.

G