PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KI-256 horizon repair
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 16:23
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by IO540
Can anyone recommend a UK instrument shop which can repair the above (it takes 10 mins to erect) to a high standard, but without messing with the electronics otherwise I have to get the autopilot recalibrated?
I am assuming you have a FKC 150/200/225 autopilot. The good news is I am pretty sure there is no requirement to do any autopilot adjustment if the instrument is replaced. After overhaul the instrument is simply reconnected and remounted back in the panel. The bad news is that Bose X must be talking about a light plane aircraft AI with no autopilot or FD outputs. Fixing the king units is very expensive. A fellow I know has a C340 with a KFC 200. His KI256 was also slow to erect and the bill to overhaul the gyro bits was USD 1900. He had the work done by a very well regarded shop in California. You can pm me for contact details if you are interested.
BTW his first thought was to just get an overhaul exchange instrument untill he found it was going to cost USD 5500 . KIng radio also helpfully suggested he could buy a new unit for just over over USD 10,000