PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging taxi time for aborted flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 16:19
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The500Man
As I posted earlier the POH does not set out a limit but it does say that an average pilot can operate safely upto 15 Knots. This is not limiting but a recommendation. My groups policy is however limiting and I will respect the owners wishes when operating their aircraft.

Since I only have 1 hour PIC on type I don't consider myself above average!

As to this being an arbitrary number; aviation is full of them, whether it is in the definition of VMC/ IMC or licensing hour requirements etc. I agree that these are arbitrary numbers but they have been set out for our benefit based presumably on others past experience or hind sight.

Perhaps I didn't put it so well - I think Big Pistons Forever hits the nail on the head.

I have no idea of your experience, but; would you have flown if it was 15kts because you're confident and competant with that, or because the POH says Mr Average can do it?

Aviation has a lot of 'arbitrary' minimum requirements. Just because you meet the minimums doesn't mean you should go do it. The way the initial Q was phrased jarred slightly, hence the thought. I'll shut up now.