PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To fly or ...not to fly.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 14:32
CAT1 REVERSION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uglyduckling,

In ALL honesty, I would return to a stable life! I gave up Engineering 10 years ago to persue this career, the career I had always wanted to do - unfortunately the reality is somewhat different from my initial hopes!

I have had this conversation with many of my fellow pilot's, usually in the cruise on day 4 or 5 of 6 on after yet another delay (at a weekend!), missed invite from friends or family with a bit of fatigue thrown in too.

If you want to subscribe to shift work (which I'm told can reduce your life expectancy upto to 10 years),an unstable lifestyle, friends and family who give up inviting you to occasions due to your work schedule, a crap cold food diet consumed at 8000' cabin altitude, ever reducing terms and conditions, interesting fuel policies, tech aircraft, a circadium rhythem fit for a tortured prisoner of war - but to name just a few, then maybe this is the game for you. If not my friend I would return to Engineering and have your stable lifestyle, steady income and normal life to look forward to!!!

On the up-side, it can be an intersting job if your chosen Airline has a good route structure, your work pals are a good bunch and you are able to plan your life, leave and social life VERY well.

It is your choice. I do enjoy the flying, but, In heindsight I would probably be happier if I had of stayed in Engineering.

Best of Luck